CoQ10 is not a name that rolls off the tongue. However, in comparison to its full name – trans 2, 3-dimethoxy-5-methyl-6-decaprenyl-1, 4-benzoquinone – CoQ10 is practically a musical note. So what is CoQ10? And why is it a name you should look more closely at all?
CoQ10 is a potent antioxidant molecule that is naturally occurring in the body, and present in most healthy diets in biologically significant amounts. But, like with most compounds we use inside our body already, we only start paying attention when we have too little or too much of them. And this is why your search for best CoQ10 brands should start, because CoQ10 is one of those very compounds that helps hold the body in a perfectly maintained balance. Being an antioxidant, it works on a subcellular level to help reverse the damage often caused by exposure to the villainous oxidants, that enter our body. And while oxygen is good, oxidising compounds wreak havoc on cellular systems. This is exactly why antioxidants enjoy so much attention in everything from food to skincare products to immunity boosters these days- they work to protect the body and the immune system on a multitude of levels.
Of course, that also prompts you to dismiss CoQ10 as yet another cure-all wonder-compound marketing gimmick, but here lies the biggest point: CoQ10 is a biologically active compound that not only exists in the body (unlike some Latin-drenched plant name that grows under a rock in Borneo), but also has significant studies backing its veracity in anti-ageing and disease fighting capacities. The most attention worthy of these properties is the beneficial effect it has against heart disease, against atherosclerosis, and against progressively degenerative neurological conditions. Which sums up the big three: Heart disease, Kidney disease, and memory associated disorders.
As a supplement, CoQ10 leaves no space for doubt. What you can question is, what the best brand of CoQ10 is. So, if you’re asking yourself, ‘what is the best CoQ10 on the market?’, here’s a list of the most reasonable options for you.
Solgar Megasorb CoQ10 is the hands down the CoQ10 supplement with the most amount of biologically available CoQ10, and the least amount of interactions or additives in the formulation. Each soft gelcap contains Coenzyme Q-10 (KanekaQ10®) (as ubiquinone) 600 mg, in a base of rice bran oil, which facilitates absorption in the digestive tract and easy uptake in the intestines. In fact, there are many points in favor of Megasorb CoQ-10.
The gel formulation made up of rice bran oil, gelatin, vegetable glycerin, soy lecithin, etc. is suitable even for people who are gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant, and is free from yeast, glucose, wheat derivatives, sodium, or artificial sweeteners or preservatives. That makes Megasorb CoQ-10 suitable even for people who suffer from inflammatory diseases, and lifestyle associated disorders like Diabetes, Hypertension, etc. It’s always good to get a physician’s approval before starting the supplement regularly. This holds doubly true for pregnant women or recuperating patients.
The mild formula is also beneficial for people who find that most CoQ-10 supplements don’t ‘suit’ them. It may still be a little problematic for patients of IBS, but almost everyone else sees a noticeable change in their health with regular use. In fact one of the biggest benefits is for people who are on Statin medications to control their Cholesterol. Statins often cause body ache and muscle pains, which are prevented and controlled with Megasorb CoQ-10 use.
- Suitable even for people with common allergies or intolerance to wheat or dairy based additives.
- Delivers a high dose of Coenzyme Q-10, with enhanced absorption because of the rice bran oil base.
- Helps regulate CoQ10 levels in the body, especially for people with insufficient diets.
- Especially useful for patients of lifestyle associated disease or chronic diseases.
- Softgel caps are easy to swallow and water soluble.
- May not be suitable for patients of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
The Pure CoQ10 High absorption and extra Coenzyme Q10 Enzyme Vitamin supplement has a mouthful of a name for one pill- but well deserved. This CoQ10 tablet is a power packed punch and should feature on your shopping list.
The high dose delivery of Pure CoQ10 makes it unsuited for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. However, everybody else stands to benefit from the easy to swallow softgels. CoQ10 in this supplement is delivered with a base of rice powder and rice bran, which are tolerated by almost everybody, unlike mainstream supplements made with dairy or soy bases.
And the benefits are enormous (corresponding to the full dose!). Coenzyme Q10 is necessary not only for maintaining baseline cellular processes like biological oxidation and energy generation at a mitochondrial level, but also helps counter the advent of aging. CoQ10 helps prevent free radical induced cellular injury and cell death, which decreases cell turnover and aids longevity of tissues- and their resistance to disease!
Of course, it’s still advised to people who have pre-existing heart conditions, that they confirm with their primary healthcare provider before starting the supplement on a daily basis. It doesn’t limit people who have, say, Hypertension, high cholesterol, heart disease, liver disease, etc. CoQ10 is suitable for everybody- which is only to be expected, given its essential role in the body.
- It’s the maximum strength delivery system for CoQ10, delivering up to 400mg per serving.
- One order gives you a 200 day supply (200 Extra Strength tablets which supply the full RDI)
- Targets heart health, for improving control on blood pressure
- Targets the signs of aging by acting against oxidant at a cellular level
- Capsules are made free from fillers, binders, or extra additives, with minimal possibility of interaction.
- Not suitable for pregnant women or lactating mothers.
Nature Made CoQ10 comes in an unassuming looking bottle- with magic inside! Okay, maybe metaphorically so, but here’s why you should pay attention to Coenzyme Q10 from the Nature Made brand.
The antioxidant action associated with Coenzyme Q10 is not the only point in its favor. The boost it gives to energy production becomes that much more important for cells which must necessarily have a high energy output. So for example, the muscle cells of the heart, neurons in the brain, skin cells that are shed and recycled, cells lining the gastrointestinal tract- all these places where the cell turnover is high and cells need to maintain high energy production, Coenzyme Q10 is incredibly beneficial.
For everybody else, who is not allergic or soy intolerant, Nature Made CoQ10 is a very sensible supplement- and should be the supplement of choice, too! It provides 200 mg per soft gelcap, which adequately covers the daily requirement. This point is noteworthy more so for people with Dyslipidemia and high serum cholesterol, because it not only helps them tolerate high doses of statins better, but also assists in maintaining levels of high density cholesterol (the good cholesterol) as opposed to low density cholesterol (the bad cholesterol, that goes rampaging against blood vessels). With 200 mg, this dose is not only suited but also super!
- Absolutely no added colors, preservatives, or additives
- Neutral adjuvants with zero interaction or contraindications.
- Fat-soluble CoQ10 (in Soybean oil) helps target cellular mitochondria levels, directly increasing energy production
- Antioxidant action works from the cellular level upwards, acting specifically against free-radical induced cellular injury
- Is completely starch and gluten-free
- Especially useful for people who control their cholesterol using statin drugs, which often induce severe muscle pain.
- Is unsuitable for people who are allergic to Soy and soy derivatives.
Two Pure CoQ10 products on the same list? Well, why not? They speak for themselves! (That is, after you begin taking them. For now, I’ll speak for them!)
However, that’s not strictly a disadvantage, because in any case, all health supplements should be approved by a doctor before daily use. Coenzyme Q10 registers at the most harmless end of this spectrum, and even 400 mg per day is fully safe for use by patients who’ve had it approved.
The antioxidant cover (the same antioxidants superfoods like blueberries, green tea, goji berries, etc. are so famous for) helps not only halt the oxidant exposure we face on a daily basis, but also reverse it to some extent. That is a benefit not only to chronic patients but also to people who are on the pre-disease spectrum or at risk of developing heart disease or degenerative memory disorders eventually.
And it’s not all about disease. People seeking to improve or maintain good fitness levels can also use the Pure CoQ10 supplements to positive effect. Coenzyme Q10 has been shown to elevate tolerance, stamina, and help sustain longer periods of active endurance. This is one Coq10 brand everybody can use!
- Full strength 400 mg Coenzyme Q10 per capsule
- Each bottle comes with 100 capsules for a very reasonable price- that’s a 100-day’s supply in one bottle!
- Mild formulation with no unapproved additives- no extraneous additives otherwise, no fillers, no adjuvants, no potentially harmful chemical or artificial ingredients.
- Formulation ensures high absorption per capsule, and a high dosage delivery
- Well absorbed compound, ready for uptake right from the cellular level
- Clinically proven beneficial effects of Coenzyme Q10 on cardiovascular health
- Potent anti-aging properties, with visible reduction in wear and tear of skin and noticeable improvement in immunity.
- May not be suitable for people on blood thinning medication, and may require to be approved by a doctor before starting daily use
Qunol Ultra 100mg CoQ10 supplement is not an option you can scroll past without -pause for dramatic effect- actually pausing! With a 100mg Coenzyme Q10 in biologically available form, it might seem less potent than the heavyweights on this list, but here is why it’s actually not.
Qunol CoQ10 is a Coenzyme Q10 supplement that is actually recommended by cardiologists as the most useful Coenzyme Q10 supplement in the market. This fact is not only recommendation based, but also backed up by clinical trials.
The inherent advantage it has is the delivery system: Qunol CoQ10 makes Coenzyme Q10 bioavailable through lipid and water, which helps it distribute and activate faster. In fact, it targets the lagging production of Coenzyme Q10 right from the cellular level. The use of statins to control high cholesterol causes a ‘distraction’ in the production chain of Coenzyme Q10, which this supplement helps in circumventing. And as far as the results are concerned, the performance has already built a name for this brand.
Whether you’re looking to get fit or stay fit, to make a lifestyle change or sustain a lifestyle change, or simply to make sure your body gets the full scope of nutrition, CoQ10 supplements are something you should seriously consider. Some of these options also have Vitamin enriched formulations, making them doubly useful to incorporate in your daily routine. All the best brands put together, it’s really just a matter of seeing the relative pros and cons and choosing the best CoQ10 supplement for you!
- It has the best absorption of CoQ10, of any supplement available on the market.
- It has an absorption three times as higher as normal CoQ10, eliminating the need for higher dosages or more frequent dosing.
- It has a very high bioavailability and gets absorbed and taken up quickly
- Being both water- and fat-soluble, it has high potency and efficacy, more so in comparison to all common CoQ10 supplements.
- It replenishes CoQ10 that gets specifically lowered as a side effect by the use of statin medications.
- It contains soy, and therefore may be unsuitable for people who are intolerant or allergic to soy-based products.